I write to inform you about the arrangements that have been put in place as from Saturday 19 October 2019 during the vacancy for a Moderator.
Firstly – How the Synod will work during the vacancy:
• The Revd George Watt will give general oversight two days per week to assist the smooth running of the office and to give general oversight of Synod strategy including dealing with matters from staff.
• The Revd Bridget Banks will attend Moderators’ Meeting and to deal with serious pastoral issues including attendance at Pastoral Committees.
• Other pastoral matters to be managed by the Synod Area Pastoral Committee Conveners.
• To form the Officers Meeting of the Synod – Revd Derrick Dzandu-Hedidor, Mr John Denison, Revd George Watt and Revd Bridget Banks.
• To assist with difficult issues – an existing Synod Moderator is The Revd Paul Whittle of Eastern Synod.
• The Revd Dr Paul Dean will have oversight of ecumenical matters including attendance at Church Leaders Breakfasts, enabling groups and churches Together meetings representing the Synod.
• The Revd George Watt will chair Synod Council in November 2019 and February 2020 and Synod Together in March 2020.
Secondly – Search for a new Moderator:
Here are the dates being worked towards —
1. Adverts to appear in the February 2020 edition of Reform.
2. Deadline for receiving nominations is 1st March 2020.
3. Deadline for applications is 9th April 2020.
4. Shortlisting will be held on 24th April 2020.
5. Interviews will be held on 15th May 2020.
6. Appointment of new Moderator to formally commence on 1st September 2020 will be at the 10-13th July 2020 General Assembly.
7. Start of new Moderator’s ministry in the Synod is 1st September 2020.
I ask you to keep praying for all who are writing up a new Synod Profile and the Job Role and Persons Specification for the new Moderator and all who will be doing additional pieces of work during the vacancy.
I thank you all for your co-operation and support.
With best wishes,
URC Southern Synod Office
Tel: 020 8688 3730