Difficult times often bring out the best in people and there has been a surge in community volunteering initiatives during the pandemic. However, keeping people safe must always be a priority and churches should apply the same standard of safeguarding in this work.
Which roles are eligible for DBS checks?
Please see the General Assembly Paper T6 for information on URC roles eligible for a criminal record check.
- Take advice from DDC (our DBS checking provider) and review the information on their website relating to checks during the pandemic.
- Revisit your volunteer role descriptions and risk assess these for the potential for harm.
- Continue to apply for DBS checks on role that require this and ensure that volunteers do not start until a satisfactory clearance is received.
- Review your lone working policy and ensure protections are in place for volunteers.
- Consider using online safeguarding training for anyone undertaking a new role.
Safeguarding: DDC, our DBS/PVG checking service provider, has published a response relating to the services that DDC will be providing during the Covid-19 pandemic. DBS has also published new guidance on DBS checks which means ID documents can be checked by video link or scanned images. Read DDC’s update regarding relaxed document checking processes.